Monday, November 10, 2014

Gifts from the Storm

I'm sitting here today on a breezy, warm November day with a bag of my favorite candy (Swedish Fish) from my favorite sister (only sister), and a whole lot of thoughts.  It's odd to enjoy the upper 70's days from Thanksgiving, but we're bracing ourselves for our first taste of winter that is supposed to arrive tonight, so I'm demanding the windows be open all day and am soaking up every second.  

Have you ever heard of people having a "life-verse"?  Are you one of them?  If so, I've always looked at you rather longingly.  God what about me?  I want one too?  For awhile I would think I had one and was ready to proclaim with exuberance-guys guess what I've got one too!!  I've got a life verse!!!!  
But then a few days/weeks later I'd come across a different one and think, well Lord this one looks good too??  

Sheesh.

Fast forward years later, I found myself in the midst of the storm of my life, clinging to Jesus with white knuckles and screaming at myself, stay in the boat…just stay in the boat…He will be faithful to you.  At this point, a life verse was the farthest thing from my mind.  I was too focused on surviving and all.  So I'm not sure where or when the verse came to me, it wasn't some grand moment where fire fell from the sky and landed on a verse and I knew-this was it…my life verse.

Quite the contrary.  It was instead a season of life that after the Mr. was sound asleep, I would quietly sneak out to the guest room.  Light a candle so I wouldn't wake him with the light from the room, and sit on the bed with my Bible and a lot of tissues.  I found myself talking to Him like I had never talked to Him before, more intimate and real.  Presenting my requests, again and again.  Going over my scripture memory cards.  Some nights I was too emotionally and physically exhausted for any of this though, so I just clung to my Bible close to my chest like it was my life-line (because it was) and sobbed my heart out before Him. 
Throughout all this time one verse came to mind continually.  I would speak, out loud, this verse again and again.  It started out quietly, but over time I started speaking it with power, gumption, conviction, even pointing my finger to the ceiling as if I were telling it straight to God Himself.  
Then you will know that I am the Lord, those who hope in Me will not be disappointed.
-Isaiah 49:23

Some nights I got stuck on those last words…I have put my hope in Him, I will not be disappointed…will not…absolutely WILL NOT.

Over time, I realized this is the verse He spoke over my own life.  If I had to sum up my life it would be a series of events that led me to KNOWING He is Lord.  Through the good and the bad, the beautiful and the devastating-they've all led me straight to Him.  And let me tell you, from someone who tried every other well in the world-He is the only one who will not disappoint.  

If you have a life verse too, I would absolutely love to hear it. Share it in the comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment