Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Thoughts, Taylor Swift, & a Free Printable

I've noticed a pattern lately that has been so recurrent that I finally wasn't able to ignore it any longer.  Sometimes I will wake up with something on my mind-a need, a prayer, a random song, or thing to do-and my mind will be absolutely stuck on that thought for hours, or even all day.  As my day goes on and I get busy I will get sidetracked from that first thought, but always navigate back to it somehow.

This has been annoying me lately.  One day my first "thought" was a random Taylor Swift song that I had heard on the radio driving home the day before.  I couldn't tell you 5 words of that whole song, yet that was all I could think of all day.  No offense to Taylor, but that's not what I want my focus centered on.  

My first thoughts during the first 5 minutes I'm awake, generally stick with me the rest of the day.  Which got me thinking-I want to pick what those thoughts are carefully, intentionally.  

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2)

Finally I took my annoying theme to God.  He started showing me, if the first thoughts I think in the morning have that much power over me that I would naturally drift back to them throughout the rest of the day then I should do something about it.  That's when I decided to begin placing a scripture on a piece of paper or notecard and place it by my bed each night.  Then each morning as soon as I wake up before I even let my mind wander to something random I address it and I choose to fix my eyes on Jesus.  It takes less than 10 seconds but has a significant influence on the rest of my day and my thoughts.

Today I've provided a set of scripture cards as a free printable. You can print these out on card stock and cut them out, then put a metal ring through the top left corner, or leave it on your nightstand so you can remind your brain who gets your thoughts today!  And sorry Taylor, but it's not you.


I've also provided some blank ones so you can add your own scriptures.






2 comments: